Why join the New Zealand Society of Anaesthetists?
The New Zealand Society of Anaesthetists Inc (NZSA, the Society) is a membership-based society open to medical practitioners practising anaesthesia in New Zealand. It is the only organisation solely representing the interests of New Zealand anaesthetists.
Joining the NZSA will give you the opportunity for further training and to attend conferences, and your interests will be represented in the health sector and to government.
We’ll keep you updated on current issues and news through our E-zine and magazine New Zealand Anaesthesia. You’ll also get access to the Members Only section of the website which has important information including clinical forums. The President’s Column features in the NZSA magazine and provides information about the work of the President and NZSA. The Health and Safety Resource for Members covers requirements under the Health and Safety at Work Act 2015 (members only).
As a member you’ll have access to many benefits including discounts for: conference registrations, trainee courses, magazine subscriptions, hotel chain accommodation and Koru Club membership. You will also receive the Anaesthesia and Intensive Care journal, Your Anaesthetic leaflets, the Relative Value Guide and educational resources. Members have the opportunity to be awarded prizes annually at the NZSA awards.
The NZSA is also supportive of our Pacific Island neighbours. Members can be given assistance with some expenses and placements for New Zealand locums to relieve local Pacific anaesthetists, while they attend the Pacific Society Annual Refresher Course. If you have never been a member click here to join NZSA online or click here for a printable PDF application form.
Click here for our Code of Conduct for members.
Join the NZSA
We outline all the work that the Society has been involved in our annual membership letter.
The Society offers four categories of membership:
1. Ordinary Membership which includes Active, Continuing or Long Service, Retired and Trainee
2. Honorary membership
3. Life Membership
4. Associate Membership
Annual subscriptions are based on membership category and are determined annually at the NZSA AGM.
Why should Trainees Join NZSA?
Trainees have access to all membership benefits that Consultant anaesthetists are offered but membership is free, while in training. It gives you an opportunity to see what the organisation is all about. The NZSA has two Trainee Representatives on the Executive Committee that bring trainee issues to the table. NZSA meetings, conferences and ASM is also a great platform to meet and learn from trained doctors and an opportunity to apply for eligible NZSA prizes which are open to our members. As an NZSA member, trainees have access to the WFSA and international educational resources as well.
Membership Benefits - the Society provides:
- Advocacy and representation of New Zealand interests with the Ministry of Health, Medical Council of New Zealand, District Health Boards, Pharmac, Medsafe and the Office of the Health & Disability Commissioner
- New Zealand anaesthesia representation at the Australia New Zealand College of Anaesthetists and the Australian Society of Anaesthetists council meetings, as well as liaison with other medical and allied health professional organisations
- Assistance with medico-legal advice in conjunction with the Medical Protection Society
- Information on Private Practice assistance with RVG, ACC, guides on clinical services
- Access to “iamonline”, an interactive online educational resource, developed by the ASA, and now available to NZSA members
- A mobile version of the Relative Value Guide since April 2011
- Unbundled fees for trainees which excludes the AIC journal
- NZSA magazine– New Zealand Anaesthesia
- Ezine Newsletter (online)
- Listed anaesthesia vacancies for job seekers
- NZSA website, an essential tool to disseminate information about upcoming conferences, news, information
- The journal of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care (AIC) six times per year – the home journal of NZSA offered as part of membership fees for some categories
- Educational resources, such as publications and DVDs, available free or at discounted rates for members
- Educational opportunities, including the NZ Anaesthesia Scientific Meeting, Annual Queenstown Update in Anaesthesia (AQUA)
- Prizes and scholarships
- Other Member benefits, e.g.Koru Club, Bauer Media, New Zeland Chamber of Commerce, WFSA, Heritage Hotels – You will need to log in to access this page or contact our office for further information
- From time to time the Society holds seminars / meetings for members
- Outreach and aid programmes.
Membership fees can be claimed back. Follow this link.
The Society is also a stakeholder in the following groups:
- 10% in ACECC & Special Interest Groups (SIGS)
- 10% in ANZTADC (Australia and NZ Tripartite Anaesthesia Data Committee)
- 50% in The NZ Anaesthesia Education Committee
The Society is a member of the World Federation of Societies of Anaesthesiologists (WFSA) and is an active contributor to WFSA affairs and educational initiatives at an international level.
NZSA is a member of the Common Interest Group which is made up of the American Society of Anesthesiologists (ASA), Australian Society of Anaesthetists (ASA),Canadian Anesthesiologists’ Society (CAS), South African Society of Anaesthesiologists (SASA) and the Association of Anaesthetists of Great Britain and Ireland (AAGBI).